Sunday, April 18, 2010

I Promise

Today, I have made a promise to me. I have made a commitment to myself. I will keep it.

You see, I am my own worst enemy. I am the first person to criticize or condemn myself, my actions, and my abilities. I know where my weaknesses lie and I will point them out and exploit them, even when others fail to see them. I agonize over mistakes, and I confess, if not out loud, then silently, just how stupid those mistakes are.

At least, I would do that. Not anymore, however. Starting today, I am going to be my very best friend. I am going to be my number one cheerleader and supporter. I am going to praise my achievements and accomplishments. I am going to stand on success and strength.

No, I'm not going to be egotistical and prideful. I am, however, going to accept that I have value and worth. I am going to recognize that I have importance and can positively contribute to the lives of those around me.

How am I going to make these changes? Really, quite simply. I am rewriting my personal dictionary. Instead of including the terms "I can't"; "I'm not"; "I don't"; my personal descriptive dictionary will contain the phrases I can, I am, and I will.

For you see "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", Philippians 4:13. Not only that, but, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made", according to Psalm 139:14. "I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." Psalm 91:2.

Yes, starting today, I have made a promise to me. I will remember that this life is not about me. It is about what He has done for me. This life is not about what I can accomplish, but about what He can accomplish through me. It is not by my strength or by my might, but by His stripes. I was created in the image of God and starting today, I will not condemn Gods creation. In all things I will praise Him, for He lives in me. With Him alive within me, how can I possibly criticize me?

1 comment:

  1. Good word...
    We are not good enough to mess GOD up :)

    Luv Ewe

    ReplyDelete